What is it?
(from Wikipedia) ArcGIS is a geographic information system (GIS) for working with maps and geographic information. It is used for: creating and using maps, compiling geographic data, analyzing mapped information, sharing and discovering geographic information, using maps and geographic information in a range of applications, and managing geographic information in a database.
What is available?
The University has subscribed to an annual site license for ArcGIS via an Eduserv CHEST agreement. We have taken Option B. This allows use of all versions of ArcGIS Desktop, including Advanced, and a number of extensions as described in the Product Information webpage. The agreement also includes use of ArcGIS Pro and subscriptions to ArcGIS online.
There is a Windows version, but not one for MacOS. ESRI suggest it can be run on Mac under either Bootcamp or Parallels.
Who can have it?
Academic use on and off campus by staff and students. Unusually for these agreements, there is also some use allowed for administrative use of the product, e.g. by Estates and Facilities.
- Use is not allowed outside of the UK or the Republic of Ireland
- Use of Esri software is subject to the Licence Terms and Conditions
How can I get it?
- Live from Apps Anywhere
- In PC Labs
- Request install to University Computer from IT Service Desk
- Request access to ArcGIS Online from IT Service Desk
What support/training is available?
- The Esri_Chest_Agreement_2017-2020 document lists a number of additional support benefits of the agreement. These include:
- Unlimited Virtual Campus Premium Annual User Licence
- Access to GIS specialists
- A free pass to the ESRI International User Conference
- Please contact the IT Service Desk for more information on the above
When does the license/agreement run till?
- The license is renewed annually on 1st August
- The agreement runs from 1st August 2020 to 31st July 2023. A decision to renew the agreement will be taken in good time.